COVID-19 Clinical Research Tracker

COVID-19 Clinical Research Tracker

Currently, 114 clinical studies are listed on www.clinicaltrials.gov that explore the use of cell-based therapies for patients with COVID-19.

Clinical Studies Exploring Use Of Cell-Based Therapies for COVID-19 By Cell Type (n=114)
41 (36%) of the 114 clinical studies are being conducted in the United States, while 73 (64%) are being conducted abroad.

All Clinical Studies Exploring Use of Cell Based Therapies For COVID-19 By Phase (n=114)

The vast majority of studies (85%) are either Phase 1 (30%), Phase 2 (25%), or Phase 1/2 (30%) clinical trials.

Two of the studies are Phase 2/3 clinical trials and only one is a Phase 3 clinical trial.

There are 5 expanded access studies; the phase is not known or applicable for the remaining 11 studies.

U.S. Clinical Studies Exploring Use of Cell-Based Therapies for COVID-19 By Phase (n=41)

Similarly, 80% of the clinical trials being performed in the U.S. are either Phase 1 (29%), Phase 1/2 (22%), or Phase 2 (29%) studies. There is one Phase 2/3 clinical trial and one Phase 3 trial being conducted in the U.S.
U.S. Clinical Studies Exploring Use of Cell-Based Therapies By Sponsor Type (n=41)
As summarized in the chart above, 34% of U.S. clinical trials exploring the use of cell-based therapies for COVID-19 are being conducted by academic and research institutions. The remaining 66% are being conducted by industry–all small biotech companies–in some cases, in collaboration with health systems.
Clinical Studies Exploring Use Of Cell-Based Therapies for COVID-19 By Cell Type (n=114)

84 of the 114 studies conducted globally involve the use of mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs). Twenty-eight of the 84 studies involving MSCs are being conducted in the U.S.

Published Review Articles Exploring Use of Cell-Based Therapies for COVID-19

At least 140 articles have been published in peer-reviewed publications that offer insights on the potential or promise of regenerative medicine and cell therapies for patients with COVID-19. Click here for the list of published articles. See below for a summary of the number of articles by cell type.

Published Results from Clinical Studies Exploring Use of RMCTs for COVID-19

Researchers involved in 27 clinical studies involving the use of cell-based therapies for severely ill patients with COVID-19 have published their results, 25 of which were published or are to be published in peer-reviewed journals.

  • Across all 25 studies with results published in peer-reviewed journals, mortality rates averaged 8%, which is less than the average mortality rate for severely ill patients with COVID-19, which ranges from 39 to 72%.
  • Nine of the 25 published studies were based on expanded access use of cell-based therapies for COVID patients.
  • Only 5 of the 25 published findings were based on randomized, controlled trials, and the other 11 did not include randomization.
  • Therefore, the conclusions that can be drawn from published findings to date are limited.